Is there a student athletic fee? - Yes.
Why a student athletic fee?
Guilford County Schools values the important life and character-building lessons our students learn through school athletics and is proud of the hard work and dedication of our student-athletes. Currently, the district spends approximately $609 per student-athlete each year. Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to do so and maintain our core academic programs. That’s why we’re asking families of our student-athletes to pay $45 per child per year, regardless of the number of sports the student plays.
- The Guilford County Board of Education approved an annual fee of $45 for each athlete regardless of the number of sports played.
- A student enrolled in an early college, middle college, or other school without a sports program will pay the fee at the student’s base sports school.
- No athletic fees will be collected by schools until after tryouts and the coach has placed the student on the team roster.
- Students whose families cannot afford the one-time athletic fee may apply for a waiver. (See the complete Athletic Fee Information Sheet and the Athletic Fee Waiver Request Form for more information.)
- The fee does not guarantee playing time.
- The fee does not guarantee a team’s schedule will include a certain number of contests.
IMPORTANT NOTE: GCS is still collecting the annual $45 fee for athletics. If you cannot afford the fee and would like to be considered for a waiver, read the information on the waiver request form carefully before submitting the request.
Education with Inspiration